Saturday, November 22, 2014

Once upon a time, I went to Chiang Mai

I know it's been quite a while since I updated my blog, but better late than never! Things got a little bit crazy once I quit teaching, but figured it would be good to recap and revisit what happened between school ending and my journey home.

As soon as school got out, I packed up my apartment, said my goodbyes, and began my travels with a quick trip to Khon Kean to catch the overnight bus to Chiang Mai.


last look at my apartment in mukdahan

It wouldn't be Thailand without starting the trip with something sketchy. I got to the bus station in Khon Kean, grabbed some grilled chicken and sticky rice, and awaited my bus. When it was time to go, the man at the station loaded my bags into the bed of a truck. Not the bus, a truck and told me to get in. I was thoroughly confused and a little nervous. But when in Thailand. So I got in the truck, which drove me and two other women across town to the other bus station where we got on the actual ride to Chiang Mai.

I snuggled in and braced myself for the 13 hour ride. To start the journey was a really entertaining, but supposedly scary, Thai film was playing. They brought around the usual water, baked bun stuffed with taro, and a soy milk and off we went. I woke up a couple times as we went over the mountains and through the construction, but arrived safe and sound around 7 AM. I caught a tuk tuk and checked into my hotel. I decided not to use a hostel so I could recover and relax from teaching. I also wanted to spend some time in my own head and actually spend some good time alone. I had come to Thailand alone, but hadn't spent much time 100% alone and felt it would be as good of a place as any to start. My first day there was spent wandering around Chiang Mai, checking out some temples and shops, as well as the little hole in the wall markets.


one of the many, many temples
in the city


a really cool shop with homemade paintings
and painted, buddhist rocks


sunset over chiang mai

Day two in Chiang Mai was one for the books. I woke up, grabbed a quick breakfast from across the street, and got picked up to go ride an elephant. The one thing I had on my bucket list when going to Thailand was to ride an elephant and I got to check it off at a wonderful place. The company I went through rescued elephants and you got to ride them bareback. (A lot of places are only in it for the money, abuse the animals, and have a saddle that you get put in. The saddle is actually painful and harmful for the elephants, so bareback is the way to go!) We got into a van and drove up the mountain to the elephant rescue center. 

The view alone from the top was worth it. You could see the hills surrounding Chiang Mai, with all the lush, green trees and rice fields. Right amidst all that beautiful scenery, there was an elephant center. The lady in charge gave us a quick run down on elephant commands, we walked down, got changed into our elephant riding clothes (elephant skin is rough and abrasive and they don't want to ruin the clothes people wear there). 


the view from the top
pictures don't do justice



the stairs walking down


more of the stairs down

We got to feed the elephants bananas and were given some more instructions. Then it was time to assign elephants and hop on. I lucked out and got an elephant to myself. They gave me the smaller one, named Superman and helped me climb up. Elephants are, hands down, one of the coolest animals. They're so sweet and sensitive and very intuitive. Also, very smart and stubborn. Mine kept stopping to eat and wouldn't get going. We went for a quick ride, had a wonderful lunch that consisted of a traditional, Northern Thai dish, talked about the elephants some more, then went for another ride. Then, it was time for our second ride. 



elephant rider, amber

This ride was longer and the mahout in charge of Superman ended up riding on the back with me. Thank goodness for that because he tried to climb the hill to eat the bamboo and wouldn't listen to any of my commands. Luckily, he listened to the mahout. The whole time, all I could do we sit in amazement of where I was and what I was doing. Absorbing the sites, smells, the texture of the elephant skin and his ears flapping against my legs. All in all, a once in a lifetime feeling and experience. 


before attempting to climb the hill

Our ride ended with giving our elephants a bath. The water was dis.gust.ing. However, being in the gross water with about 4 elephants was pretty cool. They gave us chunks of leather to use as brushes and little buckets to pour water on them with. Mine kept trying to eat the leather brush and sprayed me with water a couple times. 


the water was as gross as it looks
and the elephant was as happy
as he looks

A quick shower, some more banana feeding, and a bunch of elephant selfies later, it was time to head back to my hotel. Not much could have ruined my mood. 


some of the different elephants



me with a mahout and friends


the rice fields by the rescue center
with the hills in the background

The next day got started with a run around the walls of old city. It's a pretty busy city, but there's a sidewalk that goes all the way around the walls and my hotel was just outside of the walls. It was about 8 AM and still cooler than it ever got in Mukdahan. Needless to say, it was a good way start to the day.


the walls around old city



old school style tuk-tuk
powered by a bicycle

After my run, I got ready, packed my overnight bag, and headed out to find the place where my 2 day meditation retreat would start. This retreat was something I had been looking forward to because Buddhism is such a big part of the culture in Thailand and I wanted to learn more about not only the culture, but myself. It was a continuation of the time spent alone that I was determined to do. 


the buddhist college where we met for 
the retreat. didn't learn to properly say 
the name of it though


the temple inside the campus grounds


inside of the temple on campus grounds

Once we all arrived at the campus, we gathered in a room and the monk that would be in charge of our retreat gave us some information about the retreat center, what we would be doing, and some background about the University. We then got on a big tuk-tuk and drove about 30 minutes to the outskirts of Chiang Mai. It was nice and quiet and the retreat center was enclosed by a gate. We were assigned to our room, which we shared with someone of the same sex, and changed into our retreat clothes. (I didn't know who I was sharing a room with, but she was a nice, younger woman from I believe Switzerland. The retreat clothes were white shirts and white pants)


meditation room


outside where our retreat was

The retreat was honestly probably the best thing I could have done and one of my absolute favorite things about my trip to Thailand. It was so wonderful to be surrounded by people who were trying to better themselves and wanting to learn to meditate. It was really well structured and the monk guided us through different types of meditating. It was great to have some extra help and guidance. Some of the best parts were not having cell service, having it be a silent retreat, and the delicious food that was cooked for us. I left the center feeling much more comfortable in my own skin and was able to kind of let go of the stresses from teaching and being so far away from home. It helped me feel much more comfortable being alone and doing things on my own.

After the retreat, I wandered back to my hotel, took a shower, and went to grab some dinner. I came across this organic restaurant and ordered the green curry with a banana smoothie. It was one of the best meals I had the whole time I was away. Part of it was that stopped and really enjoyed my food, tasting all the different flavors, and feeling the different textures. After my delicious meal, I wandered down to the night market to see what it was all about.


yummy dinner :)


the night market

I was so impressed that I ended up going back for breakfast the next morning. Equally impressed by that meal. I didn't want to leave that place and would love for someone to open a place like that here!


coffee with toast, granola, yogurt,
and assorted, delicious, fresh fruits


monks chanting at a local temple

After such an amazing couple of days, it was really hard to leave. But it was time to part my ways with Chiang Mai, memories in hand, and board the train to Bangkok. 

As always, it was an experience. It was pouring rain when I left my hotel and arrived at the train station. I had some time to kill, so I bought a coffee and updated my travel journal. When it was time to board, I grabbed all of my oversized and overly full luggage and hopped on the train. It left around 5:30 and was an overnight, sleeper train. The top bunks folded down from the top and the seats we sat on until night time rolled around turned into the lower bunk. There were curtains that closed around the bunk and air conditioning that blasted all night as it does on all the overnight buses. Who doesn't want to freeze when they sleep? Luckily they give you a nice sheet to stay warm! On the plus side, the mattresses were pretty comfortable and it was quiet all night. You also get to make friends on the train. When you slide open the curtain, you could be face to face with a stranger across from you on the other bunk like I was. He was nice and kept to himself. In the morning, I brushed my teeth with a monk. 


 train in the station


don't drop your phone!


inside of the train
the white things up above folded down
to make the top bunks


all snuggled in for the night

We arrived in Bangkok around 9 in the morning (long train ride. it's not very fast, but I wanted the experience and was not thrilled about another bus ride. I could read and write on the train to pass the time, unlike the bus.) I got a taxi and checked into my hostel. Spent one night in Bangkok before heading off on the next adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment