Monday, July 7, 2014

You know you're in a teacher in Thailand when...

"I think I'll go teach English in another country when I grow up" isn't something most people say growing up. Can't say I ever though I would be here teaching English to Thai students, but I'm so glad to have this opportunity. Coming to Thailand to teach is hands down one of the best things I have ever done and will ever do.

You know you're a teacher in Thailand when:

Everywhere you go, people ask you to take pictures with them. Some people don't even ask and just take pictures with you in the background. (like I wouldn't notice you posing in front of me and angling yourself to have me in the background. really?)

At the national park, there were some Thai soldiers who asked for pictures. Maybe if I get in trouble, this picture will help me get out of it!




ruby and me with some of the students on wai khru day


random people at a conference

Not only do people ask to take my picture, they stop me in the street to ask where I am from and to grab at my skin. All part of the experience, I guess! 

You get asked to do random things all the time. Oh, and they ask you the day before you need to attend the event. The first time was when Ruby and I got asked to be MC's at a conference for teachers across Thailand. 


comments about scarf: 
you look like air hostess.
you look like student.
why you wear that?

You get asked to be a guest speaker at a different conference. The topics: 
1. Teaching with Limited Resources 
2. Speaking Activities for Students with Mixed Abilities. 



Our qualifications for this position: 
1. White
2. Young
3. Female
4. Native English Speakers

Have we been teaching in Thailand for less than two months? Absolutely. Did we teach these things to teachers who had been teaching for 1-20 years? You betcha. 

You get asked to join themed dinner parties. One perk to speaking at this conference was the themed dinner party we were invited to attend. It was ASEAN themed, meaning people dress up as various Asian countries, such as Korea, Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia. Our attire for the evening? Traditional Thai attire from the Northeast region where we are living, or Isaan. 



a pair of earrings, two bracelets, a necklace, a skirt, a top, a belt, a waist decoration, and a shawl later

You also know you're a teacher here when your students start giving you gifts in class. I've started a collection in my drawer and intend on keeping these things :) 


my tigger head and flower. flower was given to my by a little boy who won't talk to me. only stares.


origami bird and paper art thing stapled together :)

Not only do you get gifts, students turn in papers like these:


family of ninjas. notice grandma holding a head.


no explanation needed here


some of my students really are the sweetest things


You get to enjoy the delicious, instant coffee every day. Thai people don't use the words "French Press" or "a pot of coffee". Those just aren't in their vocabulary. Instead, it's Nescafe. Also known as instant coffee. But hey, instant coffee is better than no coffee!


trying to enjoy my cup of instant coffee

You get to see students dressed up in their scout and/or military uniform on Thursdays. After they finish class, the ones in military uniform line up outside for their military type training. 


On the weekends, you get to relax and do fun things like go to the pool and take random trips to other provinces. 






You get to have cool pets in your room.



meet jorge (said with hispanic accent)

You get to meet cool people, savour western foods, and go to the local bars


bugers and fried at ricky's



trip to the grand pub with fellow teachers


You get to go to the market on the weekends, where you buy lunch, clothes, and other delicacies 


what a common market looks like


uh.... squirrel, anyone? 

While on a trip to the market, you get caught in the rain and have to stand under the awning to wait it out


Teaching here has taught me more than I thought it ever would. Have to say I'm learning far more here than I ever could have back home. #teachandtravelperks


No comments:

Post a Comment